A question that I been asked on numerous occasions is “Does my business need social media?”
Usually, I am asked this because small business owners feel like social media will take up a lot of their time and they don’t know whether it is worth the investment. Quite often business owners can’t see the value of social media for their business.
For many business owners it is the fear of the unknown. They haven’t used social media before and have concerns due to their lack of knowledge as well as concerns around privacy, time and the cost of social media.
When discussing social media strategies with business owners, we always come back to the need to grow the business. Social media can help achieve this.
To determine whether your business needs social media, spend some time thinking about the following questions:
- Do you customers spend time on social media? If they are on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn then you need to be there too, getting to know them and engaging with them.
- Do you want to get to know more about your customers? Social media has opened up the communication channels and with it you can really get to know your customer base, ask them questions, find out what they like, don’t like and through engaging with them on your social media sites you can gather a lot of information about your customers that you otherwise would never have known.
- Do you want to get your customers to promote your business? Social media is a great place to create ambassadors for your brand. By building a loyal base of supporters and continuing to share engaging content that is of interest to them, they will share your posts and promote you to their networks, increasing your exposure and reach to potential new customers.
- Do you want to drive traffic to your website? Promoting blog posts, news items of any updates on your business through social media is a great way to drive traffic to your website.
- Do you want to showcase your products or services? It has never been easier to promote your products or services to your customers. With social media, you can upload photos as products are being made, you can show highlights, designs, prototypes and even behind the scenes shots of your business through social media.
- Do you want to communicate with your customers? Social media allows you to communicate with your customers on their time. It also encourages two-way conversation as they can ask questions, which gives you an opportunity to respond.
- Do you want to conduct marketing research? Using social media, you can conduct free market research with your followers by asking questions or asking your followers to answer a poll.
There are many benefits to be had for business owners when they invest in social media but it is very easy to feel overwhelmed and waste time in the social media space. It is important to have a clear strategy and objectives for your social media sites to keep you on track and moving forward in the space.
Sarah can work with you to develop your social media strategy and get your social media pages up and running. Find out more here.